Library and Archives
The Saddleworth Museum in Uppermill is home to the combined archives of the Museum itself and those of the Saddleworth Historical Society.
In addition to material acquired
by the Saddleworth Historical Society itself, the archive includes a
number of collections donated by, or on behalf of, members and
friends. These include:
The Canon Airne Collection
This includes material from the registers of St Anne's church, Lydgate, from 1788 onwards, title deeds and deeds of conveyance relating to properties in Lydgate, and documents about church services held on special occasion in Saddleworth.
The F. G. Battye Collection
Photographs of people and buildings in Saddleworth and a brief history of the Saddleworth and District Weavers Union are included in this collection.
The E. L. Edwards Collection
This substantial collection includes five volumes relating to Dobcross, a volume of photographs of Delph, Dobcross, Greenfield, Lydgate and Uppermill, a volume about the textile industry, with photographs of buildings and machinery, and material relating to the history of Saddleworth.
The A.J. Howcroft Collection
One of the Society's most important collections, this includes material from the papers of George Shaw and Thomas Shaw, bought by Mr Howcroft in the 1920s when St Chad's, Uppermill, was sold. Notes about the Radcliffe and Shaw families accompany the Shaw papers.
The Julian Hunt Collection
A very large number of deeds, wills, plans and other documents accompany a gazetteer of Saddleworth in this collection. Material relating to the estate of Edmund Buckley (1780-1867) and his descendants is included, and there is information about many other families, including the Lawtons, Radcliffes, Scholefields and Woods.